How Do I Change My Last Name After a Divorce?

by | Oct 26, 2015 | Law

Many things stay around after a divorce, but perhaps the thing most people will want to get rid of the most is their last name. When a divorce goes badly, keeping a spouse’s last name is like keeping an open sore. Thankfully, the process for changing your last name is fairly simple, especially after a divorce. To help those looking to change their last name, the Jeff Buskirk & Associates team has put together this simple guide to legally changing your last name.

To keep things simple, you should try and include a court order within your divorce agreement that legally changes your name. However, not everyone will know about this, and will not have the proper oversight to do so. If you find yourself in this situation, it is important that you work toward having the divorce court realize your desire to change your last name.

In most states, the process fro doing so is simple, even after a divorce has been fully processed. Simply file a request to have the court order from the divorce altered to include the language stating that your name is legally changed from the one you took from your former spouse. In many cases, you will need to file an Ex Parte Application for Restoration of Former Name Entry of Judgment of Order, but always consult with your attorney to ensure you are making the right legal move.

After you’ve had your named changed legally, your old documents, such as IDs and birth certificates with your original and desired name will begin working as if your name change never happened. However, you may want to get a certified copy of the court order in case you need to prove your name restoration alongside other documents or IDs in the future.

Need assistance getting the name change you desire? If you want to put the past behind you, please get in contact with the Jeff Buskirk & Associates team immediately so we can set up a free consultation. We can help walk you through every step of the process, and ensure that your name change is 100% legally binding. Start your journey toward moving on with your life today!

Recent Posts



Related Posts