Pin It

The Lemon Law In Ohio

Although each state has its own lemon law and the laws vary somewhat there are some commonalities. A lemon is a new car that has one or more problems that have a detrimental impact on the vehicles safety, the value or the use. The Ohio lemon law applies to noncommercial vehicles which include car, motorcycles and light trucks that are designed to carry a maximum load of one ton but these light trucks can only be used as a personal vehicle. Furthermore, the law only applies to vehicles that are covered by a warranty and the problem occurs in the first year of ownership or 18,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

How to fix the problem:

If your vehicle exhibits a problem return it to the manufacturer or dealer from which it was purchased and ask them to fix the problem. The dealer or manufacturer has to be given a reasonable opportunity to do this; the problem with this is what is considered to be “reasonable?” For it to be considered reasonable one or more of the following must be true:

* Three attempts at least have to have been made to fix the same problem but it continues to occur.

* Eight attempts have been made to fix different reported problems

* One attempt has been made to fix a problem that can result in serious injury or death.

* The vehicle has been in the shop for at least 30 days.

What can you do next?

If you have a vehicle that meets any of these criteria then you have the right to ask for a replacement vehicle or a refund of the money you paid for it.

To ask for one or the other of these two remedies you must send your demand by registered mail to the vehicle manufacturer. In the letter you must detail the problems that your vehicle encountered and the attempts that have been made to rectify them. You must include the vehicle VIN and state the option you prefer.

If the manufacturer agrees with your claim your request may be met but in the majority of cases the manufacturer will ask to be given another chance to fix the problem, whether you agree or not are your choice. Should the manufacturer simply disagree with your claim either they or their dealer have to let you know that there is an arbitration process available to you.

If the manufacturer of your vehicle is involved in an arbitration program you are obliged to use it, in the event this fails you can hire an attorney and file a civil law suit.

To discover about this visit the site

2 people like this post.


    Add Comment